James Si Zeng is Assistant Professor of law and Deputy Executive Director of the Centre for Comparative and Transnational Law (CCTL) at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). He works on corporate and financial law, economic regulation, and law and economics. His scholarship has appeared or will appear in highly selective peer-reviewed journals such as the International Review of Law and Economics, American Business Law Journal, American Bankruptcy Law Journal, European Business Organization Law Review, Journal of Corporate Law Studies, Journal of Environmental Law, Peking University Law Journal(中外法学), Political Science and Law(政治与法律), and Hong Kong Law Journal, as well as leading student-edited law reviews such as the Columbia Journal of Asian Law, University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law, Berkeley Business Law Journal, and Review of Banking and Financial Law. His doctoral dissertation, State Ownership as a Substitute for Costly Regulation, was supported by the Oscar M. Reubhausen Fund at Yale Law School. His research on Chinese corporate law was funded by the Early Career Scheme of the Research Grant Council of Hong Kong SAR, China.
Professor Zeng graduated from Yale Law School with an LL.M and a J.S.D. degree. Prior to that Professor Zeng graduated from Peking University (LL.B., B.A. in Economics, Mphil in Law). He passed the National Judicial Examination of China and is admitted to the New York State Bar.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- J.S.D. (Yale Law School)
- LL.M. (Yale Law School)
- LL.M. (Peking University)
- LL.B. (Peking University)
- B.A. in Economics (Peking University)
- Corporate law
- Corporate finance law
- Law and Economics
- Law and development
- Empirical legal studies
- Environmental Policy and Compensation in China: An Empirical Analysis of Article Eight of the Chinese Administrative License Law, 34 Journal of Environmental Law (2022 forthcoming).
- The Effectiveness of Judicial and Public Enforcement of Regulation on Related-Party Transaction in China, Journal of Corporate Law Studies (2022 forthcoming).
- The Faces of Securities Regulation and State Authority: A Comparison between the United States and China, 59 American Business Law Journal (2022 forthcoming).
- The Case for Disregarding Entity Shielding, 19 Berkeley Business Law Journal (2022 forthcoming).
- Theoretical Foundation and Legal Design of Enhanced Obligation of Financial Holding Companies(金融控股公司加重责任的理论基础与制度完善), 319 政治与法律[Political Science and Law] 92 (2021).
- Responsive Regulation of Related-Party Transactions of Listed Corporations(上市公司关联交易的回应型规制), 33 中外法学[Peking University Law Journal] 1599 (2021).
- Does Regulation of Defensive Tactics with Mandatory Rules Benefit Shareholders? Evidence from Event Studies in China, 66 International Review of Law and Economics 105988 (2021).
- Entity Shielding and the Rule of “Debts-Follow-Assets” in China: An Empirical Law and Economics Analysis, 95 American Bankruptcy Law Journal 243 (2021).
- Legal Personality and the Evolution of the Rule of “Debts-Follow-Assets” in China: Complicating the Theory of Interest Group, 50 Hong Kong Law Journal 1133 (2020).
- The Theoretical Basis for the Rule of “Debts-Follow-Assets”: An Empirical Analysis of Enterprise Investment Cases(“债随物走”规则的理论基础是什么——以企业转投资案例为焦点的实证研究), 300 政治与法律[Political Science and Law] 116 (2020).
- The Calculus of Shareholders’ Consent: A Constitutional Economics Theory of Corporate Charter Amendment Rules, 41 University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law 429 (2019). Available at: https://scholarship.law.upenn.edu/jil/vol41/iss2/4.
- The Economic Functions and Legal Restrictions on Partitioning Enterprise Assets (资产分割理论下的企业财产独立性：经济功能与法律限制), 31 中外法学[Peking University Law Journal]1357 (2019)(China).
- Regulating Draconian Takeover Defenses with Soft Law: Empirical Evidence from Event Studies in China, 20 European Business Organization Law Review 823 (2019).
- State Ownership and Regulatory Costs: A Law and Economic Analysis of State-Owned Enterprise in China, 31 Columbia Journal of Asian Law 1 (2017).
- Internal and External Shareholder Liability in the Financial Industry: A Comparative Approach, 37 Review of Banking and Financial Law 285 (2017).
- Establishing Land Assembly Districts: A Proposal to Chinese Law on Rural Land Takings, 10 Frontier of Law in China 690 (2015).
- The Role of Debts Covenants in Creditor Protection under the Law of the United States(美国法上的限制性债务契约制度评析), in 24 公司法评论[Review on Corporate Law] 152, (2014)(China).
- Defining Equity and Debt Investments Made by Related Parties under Chinese Tax Law(关联方股权性投资与债权性投资的税法认定), 4 税法解释与判例评注[Tax Law and Case Review] 381 (2013) (China).
- Comments on EU’s ban on Naked Short CDS(欧盟无实体CDS禁令的法理评析), 85 金融法苑[Financial Law Forum] 233 (2012)(China).