CUHK LAW is inviting applications for 2023-24 admissions to the Doctor of Philosophy in Laws (PhD) and the Master of Philosophy in Laws (MPhil) Programmes. Potential PhD candidates are encouraged to apply for the prestigious Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.
Scholarships and Financial Support
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- Provides a monthly stipend of HK$27,100 and a conference travel allowance of HK$13,600 per year during the normative study period for up to three years.
CUHK Vice-Chancellor HKPFS Scholarship
- Offers HKPFS awardees a tuition fee waiver for their whole normative study period.
- Provides an award of HK$40,000 for lodging in the first year of study and HK$20,000 in the subsequent years during the normative study period.
- Guaranteed on-campus accommodation during the normative study period to HKPFS awardees who submit hall applications in a timely manner, and the on-campus hostel fee will be waived in the first year of study.
- For HKPFS awardees with a normative study period of four years, CUHK provides stipend at HKPFS level for the fourth year.
CUHK Postgraduate Studentship
- Provides a monthly stipend of HK$18,025 during the normative research and writing period.
CUHK Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship Scheme
PhD candidates who are nominated to Research Grants Council by CUHK but not selected for HKPFS will be offered the Scholarship with the following:
- CUHK Postgraduate Studentship.
- An award of total HK$80,000 (i.e. HK$40,000 in the first year of attendance and HK$20,000 each in the second and third years, subject to satisfactory study progress).
Tuition Waiver Scheme for Local Research Postgraduate Students
The Hong Kong Government grants a tuition waiver to all current and newly admitted local full-time PhD and MPhil students enrolled in UGC-funded RPg programmes for their entire normative period of study.
Research Postgraduate Student Grant for Overseas Academic Activities
- Full-time Research Doctoral Student: Maximum HK$30,000 in total during the normative period of study.
- Full-time Research Master’s Student: Maximum HK$10,000 in total during the normative period of study.
For HKPFS Applications:
- Submit an initial application to RGC by 12 noon, 1 December 2022 (Hong Kong time); and
- Submit full application to CUHK by 5 pm, 1 December 2022 (Hong Kong time).
For Non-HKPFS Applications:
- Main round: 1 December 2022
- Clearing round: 31 March 2023 (Applications in clearing round will only be considered subject to availability of places).
Learn more from the programme brochure.