Emerging Constitutional Freedoms and its Social Harmonisation in India, co-supervised by Professors Surabhi CHOPRA and Rehan ABEYRATNE.
Research Interests and Aims
Sumit is particularly interested in comparative constitutional law and intellectual property. With my thesis, I hope to determine the degree to which there is societal acceptance of the newly declared temple entry rights of women. The ultimate goal of the research is to evaluate how these new rights can be made socially inclusive so that they are not opposed by a majority of the population.
Working Papers and Publications
- ‘Outlawing Ordinance Raj in Krishna Kumar v State of Bihar: A Saga from Permissibility to Constitutional Fraud in India’ (co-author Anurag Ojha) Opionio Juris in Comparatione (forthcoming)
- ‘Ineffectual Panorama of Conflicting Rights in RTI Regime: Cocking a Snook on Citizen’s Right to Public Accountability’ (co-author Anurag Ojha), Indian Bar Review, Volume 46(1), 2019
- ‘From Shah Bano to Shayara Bano: Itinerary of Gender Equality of Muslim Woman in India’ Indian Bar Review, Volume 45, Issue 1, 2018.
- ‘Creation and Management of University Industry Collaborations in South Asia’ (co-author Parineet Kaur) Journal on Communication, Media, Entertainment and Technology (RMNLU), Volume III, (2016).
- ‘Regulating Unfair Trade Practices: An Analysis of the Past and Present Indian Legislative Model’ (co-authors Raman Mittal and Parineet Kaur) Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer [Online] (2015).
- ‘Conflicts between Foreign Investment and Environment Protection: Examining the Role of Bilateral Investment Treaties’ Journal of Law and Public Policy (NLSIU), Volume II, Issue 1 (2015).
- “Breaking the Silos of Religious Majoritarianism: Women’s Struggle for Access to the Temple in India” (Paper presented at the Fourth Annual LDRN conference, organized by Humboldt University Law Faculty, Berlin, Germany on 25 – 27 September 2019
- “Enforcing Copyright through Website Blocking: Emerging Trends in India” (Paper presented at the XMU International Summer School of Intellectual Property, Xiamen University on July 14th, 2019, China).
- “Enforcing Copyright through Website Blocking: Emerging Trends in UK and India” (Paper presented at the First IP & Innovation Researchers of Asia Conference, organized by Ahmed Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Laws, International Islamic University on 31 January – 1 February 2019, Malaysia).
- “Impact of BITS on TRIPS: A Case of CL” (Paper presented at the VIIth Annual IP Teaching Workshop, 2018 organized by the Centre for Innovation, Intellectual Property and Competition (CIIPC) and National Academy of Law Teachers on 24th March 2018, NLU Delhi).
- “Ramifications of Protecting Intellectual Property Rights under Bilateral Investment Treaties on TRIPS Flexibilities” (Paper presented at the Work in Progress Conference “IP Scholars Asia” organized by ARCIALA, Singapore Management University, Singapore held on March 1-2, 2018).
- “No Challenge Clause: Is Intervention by Competition Regulator Justified in Patent Licensing Agreements” (Paper presented at the 2nd Asia-Pacific Workshop on Innovation, IP, and Competition organized by NLU Delhi held on February 5-10, 2018).
- “The Evolving Role of China and India in Reforming International Financial Legal System” (Paper presented at 2nd China-South Asia Legal Forum, Kunming, China held on 14th to 17th December 2016).
Education and Awards
- PhD Studentship, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2018.
- Junior Research Fellowship, University Grant Commission (India).
- Net Eligibility Test, University Grant Commission (India).
- South Asian University merit-cum means scholarship for sessions 2013-2014 and 2014-2015.