(852) 3943 1900
(852) 3943 9979
Faculty of Law
5/F, Lee Shau Kee Building
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Sha Tin, NT, Hong Kong SAR
Dr. Yueming Yan is an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Law, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). She has been researching and teaching in areas of international trade law, international investment arbitration and policy, dispute resolution, sustainable development, China’s laws, comparative law, and empirical legal studies. Her works appear in peer-reviewed journals such as the Journal of International Economic Law, Journal of International Dispute Settlement, Asian Journal of WTO & International Health Law and Policy, and the Asia Pacific Law Review and in the edited collections published by Edward Elgar, Routledge, and Springer. Her PhD dissertation – Improving international investment law’s treatment of (anti-) corruption: Towards a more balanced approach – was awarded the 2022 Award on International Investment Arbitration Law in memory of Piero Bernardini. Yueming is also an Assistant Editor of the Asian Yearbook of International Economic Law (Springer).
Yueming has engaged in many training programs for government officials from around the world and instructed sessions on managing international investment treaty commitments and exploring innovative mechanisms for multi-party dispute resolution. Before joining CUHK Law, Yueming was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Global PhD Fellow at Singapore Management University Yong Pung How School of Law and Singapore International Dispute Resolution Academy.
OTHER APPOINTMENTS & ACADEMIC AFFILIATIONS
- Co-Chair, Asia-Pacific Interest Group, American Society of International Law (ASIL) (since March 2023)
- Assistant Editor, Asian Yearbook of International Economic Law (since 2022)
- Founder, Transnational Law Frontiers (since February 2021)
- Member, Academic Forum on ISDS
- Member, American Society of International Law
- Ph.D., McGill University
- LL.M., Xiamen University
- LL.B., Zhongnan University of Economics and Law
- World Trade Law
- Principles of Environmental Law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Investment Law & Dispute Resolution
- Returning the Home State to the Global Anti-Corruption Campaign, Journal of International Dispute Settlement (forthcoming, 2023).
- Labour and trade in Asia Pacific: origin, development, and prospects, Asia Pacific Law Review, Vol.31, Issue 2 (2023).
- A New Chapter in China’s Stance on Labour Protection? An Assessment of the China-EU CAI, Journal of International Economic Law, Vol.25, Issue 3, 464-483 (2022).
- The Inclusion of Anti-Corruption Clauses in International Investment Agreements and Its Possible Systemic Implications, Asian Journal of WTO & International Health Law and Policy, Vol.17, Issue 1, 141-173 (2022).
- Anti-Corruption Provisions in International Investment Agreements: Investor Obligations, Sustainable Considerations, and Symmetric Balance, Journal of International Economic Law, Vol.23, Issue 4, 989-1013 (2020).
- “Investment and Sustainable Development in the Implementation of the Belt and Road Initiative” in Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger & Sean Stephenson eds., Research Handbook on Investment Law & Sustainable Development (Edward Elgar Publishing, forthcoming) (with Manjiao Chi).
- “Multi-tiered International Anti-Corruption Cooperation in Asia: Treaties Review and Prospects” in Nobumichi Teramura, Bruno Jetin & Luke Nottage eds., Corruption and Illegality in Asian Investment Arbitration (Springer, forthcoming) (with Tianyu Liu).
- “China’s Belt and Road Initiative: Opportunities and Challenges in the Dimension of International Investment Law”, in Frank Emmert ed., Textbook on International Investment Law (Council on International Law and Politics, 2023) 21-37.
- “References to International Anti-Corruption Conventions in International Investment Arbitration and International Investment Agreements” in Régis Bismuth, Jan Dunin-Wasowicz & Philip M. Nichols, eds., The Transnationalization of Anti-Corruption Law (Routledge, 2021) 447-466.
- “A Comprehensive Chapter on Anti-Corruption in the China-EU CAI: A Progressive or an Unnecessary Step?” in Yuwen Li, Tong Qi & Cheng Bian, eds., China, the EU and International Investment Law: Reforming Investor-State Dispute Settlement (Routledge, 2019) 227-242.
- A Book Review on Petros C. Mavroidis “The WTO Dispute Settlement System: How, Why and Where?”, Asian Journal of WTO & International Health Law and Policy, Vol.17, Issue 2, 555-563 (2022).
- Is the CETA Joint Committee about to Issue Its first Joint Interpretation of the Investment Chapter? Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 7 December 2022.
- Principal Investigator, CUHK Direct Grant for Research 2022/2023, Investment/Trade-Plus Values in International Economic Law, CUHK Research Committee, 01/04/2023-31/03/2024.
- To engage in a panel discussion on ‘Dialogue with adjudicators’, 150th Anniversary International Law Association (ILA) Symposium, Paris, France, June 2023
- To speak in the panel of ‘Dirty Corruption, Laundered Money & Blind Eyes: Old Problems and the Need for New Solutions’, at the 2023 Bocconi International Investment Arbitration Conference (Assessing the Past, Envisioning the Future: International Investment Arbitration Law and Policy), Bocconi University, Milan, Italy, April 2023
- Speaking in the panel of ‘Whose Dispute Is It Anyway: Multilateral Litigation before International Courts’, American Society of International Law (ASIL) Annual Meeting 2023 (The Reach and Limits of International Law to Solve Today’s Challenges), Washington DC, the United States, March 2023
- Speaker, CCCL Young Scholar Forum, organized by City University of Hong Kong Centre for Chinese and Comparative Law, March 2023 (virtual)
- Commentator, ASEAN-Korea Strategic Partnership Workshop, organized by Singapore Management University Yong Pung How School of Law, Singapore, March 2023
- Speaker, ASIL Midyear Meeting Research Forum, Miami, Florida, the United States, November 2022
- Speaker, SMU – Asia Pacific Law Review Workshop, October 2022 (virtual)
- Speaker, ASIL International Economic Law Interest Group Biennial Conference 2022 (Energy, Sustainability, and The Future of International Economic Law), Fort Worth, Texas, the United States, September 2022
- Speaker, 16th Annual Conference of the European China Law Studies Association, organized by the University of Copenhagen Faculty of Law, September 2022 (virtual)
- Speaker, 29th Annual ANZSIL Conference (International Law and Global Inter-Connectedness) by the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law, June 2022 (virtual)
- Speaker, 15th Annual McGill Law Graduate Conference – (Legal) Adaption, organized by McGill University Faculty of Law, May 2022 (virtual)
- Speaker, Symposium on Supranational Responses to Corruption, organized by ASIL Anti-Corruption Interest Group, World Bank Office of Suspension and Debarment, OECD Anti-Corruption Division, World Economic Forum, International Anti-Corruption Academy, Federal Ministry Republic of Austria, and European and International Affairs, April 2022 (virtual)
- Speaker, Fudan University Transnational Corporation Legal Forum, Transnational Corporation and International Commercial Dispute Resolution Series, April 2022 (virtual)
- Speaker, 7th Asian International Economic Law Network (AIELN) Conference (Building a Sustainable Future: New Asian Regionalism in International Economic Law), organized by Singapore Management University, Society of International Economic Law (SIEL), and the Asian IEL Network, Singapore, December 2021 (virtual)
- Speaker, 2021 Young Scholars Workshop Webinar 3 (Challenges and Opportunities in International Dispute Settlement Mechanism), organized by the Herbert Smith Freehills China International Business & Economic Law (CIBEL) Centre, UNSW Law & Justice, August 2021 (virtual)
- Speaker, 2021 ILA-ASIL Asia-Pacific Research Forum (International Law and Post-Pandemic Asia: New Economic Challenges and Opportunities), organized by Chinese (Taiwan) Society of International Law – Chinese (Taiwan) Branch of the International Law Association (ILA) and Centre for Commercial Law in Asia, Singapore Management University Yong Pung How School of Law, Singapore, August 2021 (virtual)
- Speaker, 4th International Investment Law Young Scholars Forum 2021 (Civilization Clash and Sustainable Development in Investment Law), organized by Xi’an Jiao Tong University School of Law and the Silk Road Institute for International and Comparative Law, May 2021 (virtual)