Dr. Jae Woon Lee is an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Law at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He has been working, teaching and researching in the field of aviation law and policy since 2004, and is a renowned aviation law expert. His main research and teaching interests are aviation law and competition law.
Prof. Lee has seven years of legal affairs experience in the airline industry, advising the company on issues relating to company liability, government regulation and competition law matters. He has also acted as legal advisor to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea on aviation law issues and regularly attended the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Legal Committee as a Korean delegate.
Prof. Lee has published on various aviation legal issues in both major air law journals and other leading journals of trade law, company law, competition law, and public international law. He serves on the editorial board of the Annals of Air and Space Law.
Prof. Lee has served as a consultant/expert to government and international agencies, including the European Union Aviation Safety Agency, International Air Transport Association and the Hong Kong Competition Commission. He frequently presents at academic and aviation industry conferences and regularly comments in the media.
- PhD (National University of Singapore)
- LLM (McGill University, Institute of Air and Space Law)
- Master of Air Transport (Korea Aerospace University)
- LLB (Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
- Aviation Law
- Aviation Policy
- Competition Law
- Public International Law
- “Saving Competition in Hong Kong’s Aviation Market” Vol 46 Issue 3, Air & Space Law (2021) (forthcoming)
- “Enforcing China’s Anti-Monopoly law in regulated industries: a study of the airline industry” co-authored with Cai Jingmeng, Vol 9 Issue 1, Journal of Antitrust Enforcement (2021)
- “Cross-Border Joint Venture Airlines in Asia: Corporate Governance Perspective” co-authored with Seungyoung Yoon, European Business Organization Law Review (2020)
- “Passenger Injuries in International Air Law: Case Law Development and Upcoming Questions for Hong Kong Courts”, Vol 50 Issue 1, Hong Kong Law Journal (2020)
- “Airline Subsidies: Can the Law Play a Role in Regulating Them?”, Vol 52 Issue 6, Journal of World Trade (2018)
- “Against Aviation Orthodoxy: India’s Foreign Investment Regime for the Airline Industry” co-authored with Umakanth Varottil, Vol 44 Issue 1, Brooklyn Journal of International Law (2018)
- “Antitrust Immunity for Airline Alliances: Legal and Institutional Frameworks in China” co-authored with Xiongfeng Li, Vol 2 Issue 1, China Antitrust Law Journal (2018)
- “Fifth Freedom Traffic Rights: Formidable Threat or Theoretical Concern?” co-authored with Will Horton, Vol 43 Issue 3, Air and Space Law (2018)
- “Ongoing Tension in the Air: The Need for ICJ’s Advisory Opinion on Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ)” co-authored with Xiongfeng Li, Vol 6 Issue 2, The Korean Journal of International and Comparative Law (2018)
- “A New Global Approach to Mitigating Emissions from International Aviation: the International Civil Aviation Organization’s 39th Assembly (2016)” Vol 1 Chinese Journal of Environmental Law (2017)
- “A Commentary on Jetstar Hong Kong Airways Decision before the Air Transport Licencing Authority” co-authored with Michelle Dy, Vol 46 Issue 1 Hong Kong Law Journal (2016)
- “Closing the Jurisdictional Gap? The Montreal Protocol 2014 and Unruly Passenger Cases on Board Aircraft” co-authored with Andrew Harrington, Vol 15 Issue 1 Issues in Aviation Law and Policy (2016)
- “A Study of Legal Restrictions on International Air Cargo Services” Vol 69 The International Commerce and Law Review (2016) (written in Korean)
- “A Study on the Australian Law Regarding RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft System” co-authored with Joseph Wheeler, Vol 30 Issue 2 Korean Journal of Air & Space Law and Policy (2015)
- “Mitigating “Effective Control” Restriction on Joint Venture Airlines in Asia: Philippine AirAsia Case” co-authored with Michelle Dy, Vol 40 Issue 3, Air & Space Law (2015)
- “The U.S.’s New Divide-and-Conquer Strategy in Northeast Asia” Vol 13 Issues in Aviation Law and Policy, DePaul University (2014)
- “Tension on the Air: The Air Defense Identification Zones on the East China Sea” Vol 7 Journal of East Asia and International Law (2014)
- “Revisiting Freedom of Overflight in International Air Law: Minimum Multilateralism in International Air Transport” Vol 38 Issue 4 Air & Space Law (2013)
- “The Need for Modernization of the Tokyo Convention (1963) on the issue of Unruly Passengers and the Inadequacy of Korean Domestic Legal Approaches” co-authored with Bae, Jong-In, Vol.27 No.1, Korean Journal of Air and Space Law (2012)
- “Air Carrier Liability for Delay: A Plea to Return to International Uniformity” co- authored with Joseph Wheeler, Vol.77, Issue 1 Journal of Air Law and Commerce, Southern Methodist University School of Law (2012)
- “Legal Issues on Unruly Passengers under the Tokyo Convention (1963)”, Vol.6 No.1 Ajou Law Review (2011) (written in Korean)
- “The Regime of Compensable Damage in the Modernized Rome Conventions: A comparison between article 3 of the general risks convention of 2009 and article 17 of the Montreal convention of 1999,” 35 Annals of Air & Space Law (2010).
Chapters to Edited Collections
- “Nationalism, Consolidation and Rationalization in the Aviation Industry” in Victor V. Ramraj (ed.), Covid-19 in Asia: Law and Policy Contexts, co-authored with Michelle Dy, Oxford University Press (2020)
- “ASEAN Air Transport Integration and Liberalization: A Slow but Practical Model” in Pasha Hsieh & Bryan Mercurio (eds.), ASEAN Law in the New Regional Economic Order: Global Trends and Shifting Paradigms, Cambridge University Press (2019)
- “Aviation and Sustainable Development: Some Perspectives from the Asia-Pacific” in Armand de Mestral, Markus W. Gehring, & Paul Fitzgerald (eds.), SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, International Aviation, and Treaty Implementation, co-authored with Joseph Wheeler & Benoît Mayer, Cambridge University Press (2018)
- “Regional Liberalization in Northeast Asia (China, South Korea, and Japan)” in AIR TRANSPORT IN THE ASIA PACIFIC, David Duval ed, Ashgate Publishing 217-234 (2014)