Associate Professor, Faculty of Law
Prof. HUANG Hui Robin 黃輝副教授
(852) 3943 1805
(852) 2994 2505
Professor (Robin) Hui HUANG is a specialist in corporate law, securities regulation, financial markets and foreign investment. He has published widely on such topics as insider trading, takeovers, market manipulation, foreign investment, financial regulation and corporate governance. His publications have appeared in top specialist journals across the US, the UK, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong and China.
Prior to joining the Faculty of Law of CUHK in 2010, Robin was working as a permanent staff member in the Faculty of Law at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, where he now holds a conjoint position of associate professor. He is also Adjunct Professor at the China University of Political Science and Law, Senior Fellow in the Law School of Melbourne University, as well as an elected member of the Executive Council of China Commercial Law Society. Robin’s work has attracted extensive interest internationally, with significant invitations to the World Bank, Cambridge Law School, Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School, and Tsinghua Law School.
Robin has been admitted to the Chinese Bar and practiced as a senior consultant for several international law firms where he advised transnational corporations and investment banks on business associations, capital raisings, funds management, licensing and cross-border M&A. He is frequently invited to speak about financial and corporate law issues at international conferences and to government agencies, professional bodies and practicing lawyers.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- PhD (University of New South Wales)
- LLM (Tsinghua University)
- LLB (Tsinghua University)
- B.M.E. (Tsinghua University)
- Attorney at Law (PRC)
- Research Excellence Award, CUHK, 2010-2011
- The Prize for Excellent Conference Paper, China Commercial Law Society Conference, 2008
- The Prize for Best Conference Paper, Australian Corporate Law Teachers Association Conference, 2005
- Adjunct Professor, China University of Political Science and Law
- Conjoint Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales
- Senior Fellow, Law School, Melbourne University
- Elected member of the Executive Council, China Commercial Law Society
- Company Law, Securities Regulation, Financial Law
- Chinese Law & Comparative Law
- Law and Economics
- Empirical Legal Study
Selected Research Grants
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Theme-based Research Scheme, ‘Enhancing Hong Kong’s Future as a Leading International Financial Centre’ (with Professors Douglas Arner, David Donald et al) (granted as Co-Investigator) 2012
- Australian Research Council, Discovery Grant, ‘Regulatory Responses to The Global Financial Crisis’ (with Professor Ross Buckley et al) (granted as Principal Investigator) 2009
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Public Policy Research Fund, ‘Promoting Economic Integrity through Institutional Alternative Dispute Resolution’ (with Professor Shahla Ali et al) (granted as Co-Investigator) 2010
- Securities and Capital Markets Law in China (UK, Oxford University Press, forthcoming)
- Comparative Corporate Law: International Experiences and Suggestions for China (Beijing, Tsinghua University Press, 2011).
- International Securities Markets: Insider Trading Law in China (London, Kluwer Law International, 2006) (reviewed and discussed at a high-level international symposium held at George Mason University, Washington D.C., USA. Two book reviews were later published in (2008) 4(2) Journal of Law, Economics and Policy).
- China’s Takeover Law: Regulation and Reform (USA, Vandeplas Publishing, 2006).
- ‘The Regulation of Foreign Investment in China: Post-WTO Developments and Trends’ in John Garrick (ed), China: Power, Wealth and Law Reform (Routledge, UK, 2011), 130.
- ‘An Evaluation of Classic Theories of Corporate Law: A Chinese Perspective’ in Professor Wang Baoshu (ed), The Latest Developments in The Areas of Commercial Law and Economic Law (Beijing, Law Press, 2010), 259.
- ‘The Chinese Insider Trading Regulation: Current Issues and Suggested Reforms’ in C Vidya (ed),Insider Trading: Regulatory Perspectives (ICFAI University Press, India, 2007), 185.
- ‘Fiduciary Duties of Controlling Shareholders: A Comparative Analysis and Reform Suggestions for China’ in Professor Wang Baoshu (ed), Modernizing Company Law in Transformation (Social Sciences Academic Press, China, 2006), 570.
- ‘Shareholder Derivative Litigation in China: Empirical Findings and Comparative Analysis’ (2012) 27(4) Banking and Finance Law Review 619
- ‘Insider Trading and the Regulation on China’s Securities Market: Where Are We Now and Where Do We Go From Here?’ (2012) 5 Journal of Business Law 379
- ‘Piercing the Corporate Veil in China: Where Is It Now and Where Is It Heading?’ (2012) 60 American Journal of Comparative Law 743
- ‘Governing Financial Disputes in China: What Have We Learnt From the Global Financial Crisis of 2008?’ (2012) 7(1) University of Pennsylvania East Asia Law Review 195 (with Shahla Ali)
- ‘Financial Dispute Resolution in China: Arbitration or Court Litigation?’ (2012) 28(1) Arbitration International 77 (with Shahla Ali)
- ‘In the Aftermath of the Global Financial Crisis: The Proposed Establishment of a Financial Dispute Resolution Centre in Hong Kong’ (2011) 85 Australian Law Journal 726
- ‘The Regulation of Securities Offerings in China: Reconsidering the Merit Review Element in Light of the Global Financial Crisis’ (2011) 41(10) Hong Kong Law Journal 261.
- ‘China’s Legal Responses to the Global Financial Crisis: From Domestic Reform to International Engagement’ (2010) 12(2) Australian Journal of Asian Law 157
- ‘Gatekeeper and Corporate Governance: Regulatory Reflections on Market Collapse from the Enron Scandal to the Financial Crisis of 2008’ (2010) 46 Minshangfa Luncong [Civil and Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Liang Huixing) 248.
- ‘Institutional Structure of Financial Regulation in China: Lessons from the Global Financial Crisis’ (2010) 10(1) The Journal of Corporate Law Studies 219. (the author was invited to give a talk on this paper at the World Bank, Washington D.C., USA)
- ‘The Overlapping Relationship between Corporate Takeover Regime and Corporate Restructuring Regime’ (2009) 2 Zhongguo Ziben Shichang Fazhi Pinglun [Law Review on the Financial Markets in China] (editor-in-chief: Professor Liu Junhai) 245.
- ‘The Regulation of Foreign Investment in Post-WTO China: A Political Economy Analysis’ (2009) 23(1) Columbia Journal of Asia Law 185. (published in a special issue celebrating the 60th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China)
- ‘Financial Regulatory Modernization: Experiences and Lessons from Common Law Jurisdictions’ (2009) 1 Guangdong Shehui Kexue [Guangdong Social Science] 181.
- ‘Redefining Market Manipulation in Australia: The Role of an Implied Intent Element’ (2009) 27 Company and Securities Law Journal 8. (Cited with approval by the High Court of the Republic of Singapore in Monetary Authority of Singapore vs Tan Chong Koay and another  SGHC 277)
- ‘Statutory Shareholder Remedies in Australia’ (2008) 13 Gongsifa Pinglun [Corporate Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Zhao Xudong) 209.
- ‘The New Takeover Regulation in China: Evolution and Enhancement’ (2008) 42(1) The International Lawyer 153. (the author was invited to give a talk on this paper at Columbia Law School, New York, USA)
- ‘A Comparative Analysis of Australian Law governing Corporate Groups’ (2008) 15 Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) 95.
- ‘China’s New Regulation on Foreign M&A: Green Light or Red Flag?’ (2007) 30(3) The University of New South Wales Law Journal 804.
- ‘Chinese Walls in Large Financial and Market Institutions: Experiences and Lessons from Common Law Jurisdictions’ (2007) 1(1) Qinghua Faxue [Tsinghua Law Review] 149. (reprinted in Frontiers of Law in China (2009) 4(4) 489.)
- ‘The Statutory Derivative Action in China: Critical Analysis and Recommendations for Reform’ (2007) 4(2) Berkeley Business Law Journal 227. (translated and reprinted in 王保树教授主编，《实践中的公司法》，社会科学文献出版社，2008)
- ‘Directors’ Duties in Australian Corporate Law: A Comparative Analysis’ (2007) 13 Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review](editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) 145.
- ‘Share Registration and Transfer: The Australian Experience and Its Relevance to China’ (2007) 8 Gongsifa Pinglun [Corporate Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Zhao Xudong) 1.
- ‘Compensation for Insider Trading: Who should be Eligible Claimants?’ (2006) 20(1) Australian Journal of Corporate Law 84.
- ‘Accountants’ Civil Liability for Misrepresentation in Initial Public Offerings’ (2006) 11 Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review](editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) 165.
- ‘China's new Company Law and Securities Law: An overview and assessment’(2006) 19(2)Australian Journal of Corporate Law 229 (with Professor Baoshu Wang)
- ‘The Evolution of the Basel Accord: New Issues of Banking Regulation and New Solutions’ (2006) 28(1) Huanqiu Falu Pinglun [Global Law Review] 100.
- ‘The Insider Trading “Possession versus Use” Debate: An International Analysis’ (2006) 33(2) Securities Regulation Law Journal 130. (published in an SSCI-listed journal)
- ‘Financial Regulatory Reform: International Comparison and Analysis’ (2006) 10 Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review](editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) 222.
- ‘China’s Takeover Law: A Comparative Analysis and Proposals for Reform,’ (2005) 30(1) Delaware Journal of Corporate Law 145.
- ‘The Regulation of Insider Trading in China: A Critical Review and Proposals for Reform,’ (2005) 17(3) Australian Journal of Corporate Law 281. (awarded ‘The Prize for Best Conference Paper’ at the Australian Corporate Law Teachers Association Conference 2005, Sydney Australia)
- ‘Research on the Derivative Suit System,’ 2003 (7) Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) 332.
- ‘Legal Duties of Securities Investment Fund Managers,’ 2001(1) Dangdai Faxue Yanjiu [FuDan University Law Journal] 29.
- ‘The Issue of Land Ownership in China,’ 2001(4) Xiandai Faxue [Law Journal of Southwest University of Political Science and Law] 116.
- ‘The Legal Liability for Complimentary Goods’ 1999(4) Beijing Keji Daxue Xuebao (Shehui Kexue) [Social Sciences Journal of Beijing Science and Technology University] 73. (reprinted in Renda Baokan Fuyin Ziliao (Minshang Faxue) [China Renmin University Information Centre for Select Journal Articles (Civil and Commercial Law)] (2000) Vol 5.)
- John C. Coffee, Jr. Gatekeepers: The Professions and Corporate Governance (New York: Oxford University Press, 2006); translation published with Peking University Press (2011) (with Changhe Wang et al)
- Frank H. Easterbrook and Daniel R. Fischel, ‘The Corporate Contract’ (1989) 89 Columbia Law Review 1416; translation published in Qinghua Faxue [Tsinghua Law Review] (2007) 4, 260.
- Jeffery N. Gordon, ‘The Mandatory Structure of Corporate Law’ (1989) 89 Columbia Law Review 1549; translation published in Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) (2007) 12, 131.
- Bernard S. Black, ‘The Core Fiduciary Duties of Outside Directors’ (2001) July Asia Business Law Review 3; translation published in Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) (2006) 11, 215.
- Ronald J. Gilson, ‘Globalizing Corporate Governance: Convergence of Form or Function’ (2001) 49 American Journal of Comparative Law 329; translation published in Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) (2006) 11, 245.
- Henry Hansmann and Reinier Kraakman, ‘The End of History for Corporate Law’ (2001) 89 Georgetown Law Journal 439; translation published in Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) (2006) 10, 331.
- Lucian A. Bebchuk and Mark J. Roe, ‘A Theory of Path Independence in Corporate Governance and Ownership’ (1999) 52 Stanford Law Review 127; translation published in Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) (2006) 10, 363.
- Bernard S. Black, ‘Shareholder Activism and Corporate Governance in the United States’ in Peter Newman (ed.), The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics and the Law (1998); translation published in Zhengquan Falv Pinglun [Securities Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Guo Feng) (2005) 4, 573.
- Margaret M. Blair and Lynn A. Stout, ‘A Team Production Theory of Corporate Law’ (1999) 85 Virginia Law Review 247; translation published in (2005) 9 Shangshifa Lunji [Commercial Law Review] (editor-in-chief: Professor Wang Baoshu) 267.